Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Audio won't install on Gateway E-4300

Hello everyone,

More of a self note today, but still something interesting that my supervisor and I came across over the last few days....

We have a Gateway E-4300 that we installed Windows XP SP3 on the computer (SP3 was slipstreamed into the CD) and after installing most of the drivers we had problems getting the audio driver to install. The audio driver was suppose to be a Realtek High Definition Audio driver (knew this from other E-4300's that we had) however the PC would never recognize the sound card even though the installation seemed to go fine. After trying several different versions we finally figured out that the problem was with SP3. For some reason the installation did not like having to install onto a XP SP3 box, however if we installed Windows SP2 first, installed the audio driver, then updated to SP3 it worked fine.

I love technology! :S

1 comment:

Jack S. said...

Appeartly I don't even read my own blog!!! In July of 2009 I ended up redealing with this issue and totally forgot about this previous experience. Hopefully that won't happen again!!